Manage activities associated with planning for capital projects including major transit corridors, stand along transit projects, and access to transit projects, from concept, through design, environmental and discretionary funding requirements to hand off to Engineering & Construction and Operations for implementation and service. Manage technical and political decision-making processes and ensure public and stakeholder input. Supervise staff professionals and consultants. Manage planning processes to ensure equity considerations are included in project decision-making. Ensure sufficient analysis and involvement by operations staff to make decisions based on best long-term interests of current and future riders, TriMet and the region, including understanding both short- and long-term effects of decisions.
Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
Serve as a good steward of TriMet by regularly utilizing our transit system to maintain a strong and current understanding of customers’ experiences and of TriMet’s product and service offerings.
1. Develop, implement and assess plans and process for planning for transit capital projects, including transit corridors. Manage preparation of alternative designs and analyses based on application of TriMet Design Guidelines, industry best practices, research findings, planning studies, operational factors, and budgetary considerations.
2. Manage TriMet’s analyses, applications, and long-term coordination with federal, state, and other potential funding partners for strong support of TriMet projects and the ability to compete for transit project funding.
3. Manage TriMet’s involvement in regional corridor planning and development of environmental work to meet NEPA and other federal and state requirements to ensure long-term sustainable and viable transit projects.
4. Coordinate service, operations, and maintenance needs with projected capital needs to inform TriMet capital planning for facilities and future projects.
5. Coach and counsel staff, encourage professional development. Facilitate staff development through performance management process.
6. Include safety considerations in planning analyses and decision-making process and include safety professionals in project development.
7. Ensure equity considerations are part of decision-making process for transit projects.
8. Make presentations to agencies, boards, councils, elected officials and citizens groups.
9. Develop work programs, budgets for consultant studies, and oversee consultant activities.
10. Stay current on technical advances in analysis, transit planning practices, etc. through education, training, professional groups, and associations. Apply new information and technology as appropriate.
A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Planning, Economics, Engineering, Systems Analysis or related field is required.
A Master's Degree in Planning, Economics, Engineering, Systems Analysis or related field is preferred.
A minimum of ten (10) years total credited experience.*
Progressively responsible experience in transportation planning within the transportation/transit industry is required.
Two (2) years lead or project management experience managing teams of staff and consultants on transit-related planning and/or design is required.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
*The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the "credited experience".
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA Grade 16, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time
Salary Range Minimum: $85,121.00 Maximum: $127,682.00
Selection Process– Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of: 1. Application Review (please include: Cover Letter and Resume) 2. Panel Interviews 3. Reference Check
Supplemental Information It is your responsibility, and to your benefit, to describe in detail how your education, training and work experience meet the requirements of the position for which you are applying. If applicable, please provide at least ten years of your work history, including any volunteer and internship experience you may have. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and letters of recommendation with your application.
We regret that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we currently only contact applicants who are highly qualified and most closely match our job requirements.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and submit supporting documentation with your application at the time of application submission.
If you need accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays' notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.
TriMet falls under the proposed vaccine mandate and while there is not a current mandate in place, any incoming employee must be willing to get vaccinated if/when the mandate becomes effective.
TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail service in the Portland, Oregon, region. Our transportation options connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution — making our region a better place to live.